5 Things to Consider When Buying Health Insurance
From knowing which plan best accommodates your needs to navigating the maze of costs and carriers, buying health insurance can be a tricky process. Before starting your search, it’s best to know what to look for so you can make an informed decision.
1. Options – Since no two buyers of health insurance are exactly the same, look for health insurance plans that cover your particular needs, whether you need coverage for individuals and families, students, small businesses or the self-employed.
2. Customization –When buying health insurance, make sure you can customize a plan to best fit your needs, and remember that the cheapest premium isn’t necessarily the best option.
3. Benefits and Coverage – Make sure to review the benefits that are offered. Look for policies regarding maternity benefits, immunizations, annual checkups, preventative/wellness benefits and emergency room care, for example, and whether vision and dental insurance is included or covered under a separate policy.
4. Plans and Costs – The ability to compare plans and prices side by side from a variety of carriers is a great way to make sure you receive the best plan at the best price.
5. Personal Guidance – When making an important decision regarding your health insurance, speaking with a qualified expert can be very helpful. Ask questions about your health insurance options before you buy a plan. If an insurance carrier or broker won’t answer your questions or explain policy options now, don’t expect their customer service to improve after you give them your money.
Richard Monello is the President and CEO of Custom Health Plans, a full-service Texas health insurance agency offering the most cost-effective and affordable health insurance solutions for individuals, families, small businesses and the self-employed.